Close your eyes. Place yourself in your favorite room or location (beach with toes in sand, ski lodge with fireplace, study with leather chairs). Next place your favorite imagery and sound around you. Place your favorite meal on a table next to you. Place your favorite drink in your hand.
Now get ready for your interview. Keep your eyes closed and keep imagining.
Suddenly there’s a knock on the door and it’s Jesus Christ. If you’re at the beach, have him walk up to you over the waves.
It’s a spiritual interview. It’s a 5 minute check up. Here are the questions that Christ might ask you:
- What’s your favorite spiritual book?
- Show me one of your spiritual projects? Did you get it going?
- Who is your spiritual mentor in life right now? (You have one right now even if you haven’t deliberately chosen one)
- What’s the #1 question you have for me? (that is, a question that you have for Christ)
- What’s the #1 problem that you need to me (Christ) to solve right at this moment?
- What’s the #1 thing that makes you unhappy about being by disciple and friend?
- What’s the #1 thing in your life that you want to hide from me?
- What is your reaction to me? (example answers: hug, genuflect, high five, roll eyes, turn away, cross arms, cry on my neck)
Seriously, get alone, close your eyes and work through these questions. I’m not concerned about your answers – this is not a poll. The point is: Can you give an answer for each question? Can you articulate the good and bad your life in the presence of Christ. That’s the key!
1. The Bible especially the Gospel of John and some of the Psalms
2. My spiritual projects – facilitate with Scripture Study, give Communion once a month at school Mass; personally I am still struggling with my prayer life. Though I talk to God often, I don’t really know what is best.
3. Spiritual mentor – that would be my spiritual advisor Judy. I trust what she suggests for me to do.
4. Why did you take my sister Christine so soon? I need her companionship, her friendship. She wanted so much to live. Now I am worried that mom and dad and Jean and Christine will forget me, as I am alone and they are with You.
5. Help me with my husband who is doing foolish things, things beyond his capacity to do. I am afraid that he will hurt himself or worse.
6. Not being able to feel your presence with me.
7. You know everything; how could I hide anything.
8. I want to lay my head on your shoulder and just cry for a very long time. I need your help.